Sunday, April 29, 2018

What's Happening: Week of April 30, 2018

Taking a break from heavy production . . .

After uploading my last group of items, I decided to step back from cranking out stock music and do sort of a strategic review. I analyzed my sales from the beginning of the year. I found out some interesting things:

  1. Podcast intros and loops now make up almost 3 out of 4 sales from my portfolio. The last time I looked at several months worth of data, it was about 50-50.
  2. Of the remainder, the next largest groups of sales were in the ambient and drone categories, plus a lot of specialty items that don't fall neatly into a specific category. The dramatic and corporate/motivational categories didn't really have a lot of sales at all.
Part of the reason for some of the categories lagging might be that I haven't promoted them as heavily on my social media compared with the podcast intros. So I think I'm going to try and give them some more exposure over the next few weeks to see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'm going to seriously consider going "all in" on the podcast intros.

Meanwhile, I haven't completely stopped working on stock music. I did sketch an outline for a trailer music item earlier this week. It starts with a soft introduction, builds to a climax, then a short, even bigger climactic coda, before resolving to an outro. I'm projecting it to be about two minutes. I plan to revisit it early this week, and may share all or part of a rough mix in my next weekly update.

My featured stock music item this week is "Epic Dramatic Orchestra - 60 Second." It's got a nice big, cinematic feel for news/events, politics and similar content. In addition to the featured 60 second version, there are also 30 second, 15 second, loop and bumper/stinger versions. I do hope you'll check it out.

That's pretty much it for this week. Thanks for stopping by and supporting my work. Please look me up on Spotify and iTunes/Apple Music, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment