Sunday, May 6, 2018

What's Happening: Week of May 7, 2018

As I write, clouds are gathering here in southwestern Ohio. Thunderstorms are coming later this afternoon and evening. I'm sitting on a quiet Sunday afternoon and contemplating the moment.

The photo at left was taken on a more sunny day earlier this week while I was out and about. I had just gotten a haircut (in fact, I got them all cut) and was enjoying the change of pace and scenery.

That's kind of where I'm at right now, changing pace (but not so much scenery). I've been spending the last couple of weeks working on different ideas and trying out new things. On the production music side, I'm thinking about creating some music to augment my podcast intro music collection. I'm thinking of maybe doing some minimalist, atmospheric things with electronics and percussion to use as backgrounds for dramatic audio and visual content. I don't have anything to share just yet, but hope to do so soon.

My featured stock music item this week is Dramatic Moments (60 Second). It's a sort of tension-building orchestral piece that resolves at the end. It's also available in a looped version that doesn't have the resolution. I hope you'll check them both out.

On the "music for your lifestyle" front, my thoughts are not so positive. I'm not depressed about it or anything, but the plain reality is that this doesn't seem to be a good time to pursue that side of things. For one thing, I'd like to be able to release stuff in different styles and genres. But since I lack an audience of any size for any of it, to an outsider it probably looks like I'm throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

The long and short of it is, for now I'm putting new releases on hold. I may decide to throw a single out there from time to time, but it seems to make no sense to do albums or EPs. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about DistroKid going forward. Certainly I'll renew it for another year (it's coming up soon) but the prospects of it paying for itself frankly seem remote. I might be better off to put that money on the lottery once a year instead. If I do continue with releases, I'll probably stick to quieter material along the lines of Circadia.

I can hear thunder in the distance now, so I think I'll stop here and do something else for a while. I do appreciate everyone who stops by to read, as well as those of you who license my work or check out my releases on Spotify or Apple Music. If you're interested in more frequent updates and other infor, please follow my Twitter feed, since I'm more active there in short form.

Until next time, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment