Sunday, July 22, 2018

What's Happening: Week of July 23, 2018

Most of my news this week is only a little related to music, but it could prove very interesting if things come together. . .

I've been working on music for podcasters for over a year now, including developing intros and loops for various formats. A lot of what I've worked on in the non-intro vein later has been with podcasting in mind too. For example, I've envisioned my more ambient recent work as underscores for dramatic and documentary podcasts.

Now, I'm in talks with a close friend about producing and providing music for a podcast he wants to launch. It's related to the occult and paranormal and would feature a true crime angle in much of the content. I spent some time over this past weekend familiarizing myself with the use of sidechain compression to "duck" music beneath voiceover material to simplify the task of editing audio. My would-be partner, an expert on the occult and occult crimes, is in the process of organizing his materials into 15-20 minute episodes.

We're looking at distribution options, but I want to have 3-4 episodes ready before we start distribution. Monetization is a little further down the road, but hopefully we'll get there sooner rather than later. I'll provide more details if and when all of this comes together.

My featured stock music item this week is Highly Dramatic Intro (15 Second), a short intro that's great for news, current events, politics, and other content where you want convey a sense of urgency and importance to your listeners.

Finally, I'm forced to admit that there seems to be basically no interest in my commercial releases. I think that in the future I will limit my release activities to the more ambient, meditative side of my musical palette. Also, I will probably discontinue my use of DistroKid and stick to CDBaby. Going that way means I just pay a flat fee for each release without having to pay $20 a year forever, with no guarantee I'll ever be able to generate interest in my work. It hasn't worked out, but I don't regret the attempt.

That's all I have for now. I hope you week is happy and productive, and thank you for stopping to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment