Thursday, May 11, 2017

Software Hassles

I was messing around with a track in my new Mixcraft 8 DAW on Monday. I had just mixed a version down when it crashed. It was late. I signed and said "OK, I'll come back to it later."

When I tried to reopen the file yesterday evening, everything went nuts. All of my IK Multimedia effects are now inoperative. Seems there was a registry error. I downloaded a new version and reinstalled, but no joy. I tried a System Restore from Windows 10, but it failed.

Long and short of it is I may be out of business for a few days while I'm trying to get my effects back. This is no small deal because it also means I can't go back to old tracks without reworking them with new effects. This looks like it's going to be a very long process. What burns me most is that the functions I thought were there to help me recover fairly quickly and painlessly (and that worked in Windows 7) let me down.

The moral of this story? I don't know that it's "backup everything all the time." The way I'm feeling now, I wonder whether if had backed up the registry that THAT restore wouldn't have failed too. Maybe I should become a Luddite.

No comments:

Post a Comment