Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Announcing a New Series of Posts

Starting this Saturday, and for the next two Saturdays after (February 25, March 4 and 11) I'll be posting a series of three articles detailing a sliver of my musical life I've not really talked about before on this blog. It involves an obscure song I recorded a cover of about 30 years ago. The song was called "Sonny the Monster," and it wound up on a compilation by the legendary indie rock band Guided by Voices, whose leader and constant presence, Robert Pollard and I were in a band called Anacrusis in 1977.


Someone posted a link to an article, in the comment section for this video, that explained why the song existed, but I decided I wanted to tell my side of the story and talk a little bit about the history behind "Sonny."

The title of the whole piece is "Gloriously Baffling: The Real Story Behind 'Sonny the Monster'" and will roll out as follows:

Part 1 (2/25): An introduction and some history behind Anacrusis
Part 2 (3/4): The Anacrusis originals and the real reason I picked "Sonny" to cover
Part 3 (3/11): Recording "Sonny" and the song's legacy

No comments:

Post a Comment