Thursday, September 21, 2017

Spotify Profile Updates

As I mentioned in my latest weekly blog update, I've added a short two-paragraph bio to my Spotify profile. You'll find nothing earth-shaking there if you've read this blog or my website.

In addition, I have a brand spanking new artist pick. It's Moving Waves, the 1971 album by Focus. Almost anyone outside Europe who knows of this Dutch band at all knows only of the instrumental rock hit "Hocus Pocus," which features keyboardist/flautist/vocalist Thijs Van Leer's yodeling. (Yes, yodeling.)

But a careful listening to Moving Waves shows this group to be much more than just a quirky band or a one-hit wonder. The tracks, varying from short ("Le Clochard" at just over two minutes) to epic ("Eruption" at 23 minutes) straddle light classical, jazz and rock genres with surprising ease. For guitar lovers, both "Hocus Pocus" and "Eruption" showcase the considerable mad skills of guitarist Jan Akkerman, who went on to a successful career as a solo artist and sideman.

Although Moving Waves could be considered "classic" Focus, it is far from the band's only output. At some point, I may revisit them with a future artist pick.

Another quick update: I've applied to join Apple Connect, which if I understand correctly would allow me to have control over my iTunes/Apple Music profile similar to the control of my profile on Spotify. Haven't heard back yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment