Saturday, August 30, 2014

Of Trash and Treasure

There's an old saying, "one man's trash is another man's treasure." It seems to be true with stock music as well.

Recently, I submitted a track "Dream Sequence 4," to the two licensing services I currently submit to: Pond5 and Luckstock. This one was something of an outlier. My "Dream Sequence" tracks tend to be a bit weird and disjointed, and DS4 has weird little electric piano sounding washes combined with a drum kit that sounds like tin cans, and some seemingly random string phrases and bass clarinet noodling designed to sound like a very old, melodramatic movie. For good measure, I tossed in some "needle against vinyl" type noise.


Pond5 approved it as usual. I've submitted close to 150 tracks there by now and have never had a rejection. Except for times around the major US holidays and the occasional big trade show, Pond5's curation process is very quick. Meanwhile, Luckstock tells submitters to its site that it may take up to 12 days for a review and thumbs up/down decision. With one exception, this has been my experience. So, I waited and several days later got the following from Luckstock:
"Thanks for your submission. However, upon careful review, we decided not to accept this track to our marketplace. We feel that the quality of this item is not high enough or the item is very specific and  won't have many chances of being licensed through our platform. Please don't take this personally."
This "hard rejection" (as they called it) stung a bit. I reject much more of my own stuff. But, I got over it, and life went on. (I wonder what a soft rejection feels like.)

Imagine my surprise this morning, then, when I got an email from Pond5 notifying me of a sale. Expecting the sale to be of one of my more popular tracks I opened the message -- and found that some brave soul had bought "Dream Sequence 4!" So, it would seem that one person's trash is indeed another's treasure.

Thanks so much to the buyer for seeing potential in this weird little track. May it serve you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment