Thursday, July 23, 2015

Pondering Next Moves

Business is relatively slow for the moment here at the background music factory, so I'm wondering what to do next. Warning: this post is partly update and partly off-topic.

As I've mentioned here before, the period from about June to sometime in August is slow for stock music. Starting in August, sales tend to pick up. My best guess is that this happens because content producers start gearing up for the fall holidays. This year I've changed my tactics a little. I've being putting out a track or so of background music per week during the summer just to keep things going, but for the first time I'm holding back tracks. I have maybe a half dozen or so that I'm waiting to drop sometime next month, when (I assume) more people will be paying attention. We'll see how this works out.

Meanwhile, it's already July and I would really like to put something out of a non-stock music nature. I'm wondering, though, what's the best way to proceed. I have a lot of tracks that I've created over the last few years that I could assemble into an album. However, because many of the tracks are in different genres, I'm afraid it would end up sounding like a jumble. Besides that, it seems these days that other than mega-artists like Taylor Swift nobody releases albums anyway. They release singles. So I'm wondering if I should start slowly and release a single. If I do, where do I start? Most of my work falls into two categories. One is ambient, which a lot of people used to call New Age (and some still call it that). The other, for lack of a better term, is "Easy Listening." What to do . . .

Meanwhile, I've taken some time to step back and do other things, like explore covered bridges. In Indiana, close to where I live, there's bunches of them in various states of repair. Turns out there are several architectural approaches to designing them, and I'm finding that sort of interesting. More importantly, covered bridges represent a link to the past that I find interesting and somehow grounding in terms of providing a broader perspective on my own life and experiences. Maybe a new blog is in the offing.

No comments:

Post a Comment