Friday, October 17, 2014

A Milestone of Sorts

Everyone who creates stock music hopes that someday their work will be heard on television. Guess I can check an item off my bucket list.

I was sitting last evening watching Jeopardy (yes, I'm kinda nerdy) when one of about 100,000 political ads running this time of year aired during a commercial break. I wasn't really paying that much attention, then about 10 seconds in or so a very familiar sounding tune caught my ear. I listened closely and sure enough it was a cut from one of my stock music tracks -- "Sad Sparse Underscore."

The part of the track that appears in the ad is about 20 seconds of guitar and cello starting at about the :40 mark in the recording above. I have to admit of all the things I thought people might use my work for, an attack ad was not the first thing to come to mind. But look. I'm not really a political partisan, and the First Amendment is a good thing. More importantly, this is the first time I know of that my work has actually been used on TV, even if it is only for a state senate race and will only run in my local market. It's a milestone, and I hope the first of many such experiences.

On the other hand, maybe it's time I finally looked into joining a performance rights organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment