Sunday, May 24, 2015

Heading to the Slow Summer Season

Here comes the summer, a great time for fun in the sun, but a slow time for my stock music sales.

I've been creating and selling my music for a while now. I've noticed that the summer season is a slow one for this kind of thing. Sales tend to peak in the spring (in May last year, in April this year), and then take a long siesta for June and July. Things start to pick up again in August, and really get rolling by October with the approach of Christmas season. I'm thinking about changing my tactics this year to see if it makes any difference.

The last couple of years, I've been pushing to create and upload new stock music constantly through the summer months. I wonder now if continuing to upload was wise. My theory is that there's no point uploading fresh product when relatively few people are looking at it. What I'm thinking about for this summer is continuing to produce tracks, but waiting to upload most of them until late July or early August. That way, I'll have a lot of content coming on line when media producers are starting to look for new music. I haven't made a final decision, though.

In the meantime, my thoughts are turning to what I'll do musically if I scale back on production music. I keep saying I'm going to release an album-length project each year and then talk myself out of it. My problem is I like to do so many different styles. I'm afraid once I release a project in one style I'll be pegged as that style, like "new age" or "easy listening" or "ambient" or "experimental." I'm interested in all of those, and rock, pop, and more. I've even had the urge lately to write some actual songs, like with words and stuff. Eventually, I know I'll have to take the leap. When the time comes, I'm thinking seriously about limiting my projects to EP length to start. That way I can release four or five track projects at a reduced price.

No comments:

Post a Comment