Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Turns of Fate

Sales took a sudden spike the last few days, and I'm certainly glad about that. Now all I have to do is find a way to promote and sell my music other than what I consider my "usual suspects."

Selling stock music is strange. For me at least, it seems to swing back and forth between feast and famine. I went almost three weeks without a sale, and then sold several tracks in a little more than a week. That said, I still need to come up with a better marketing plan.

I've thought recently about releasing one of my tracks, "Soaring Spirit," as a single. In doing research on places I could get a single reviewed, one of the things I noted was the need for an electronic press kit, or EPK. According to about.com, an EPK includes a bio and release information. It may also include things like press photos, videos, and other relevant information.

Another thing that's disconcerting is I wonder how to promote myself. I don't think I fit into a specific genre. Somebody at Spotify created this humongous road map of musical genres, and checking it out I heard bits in pieces of music that sounded like me all over the map. I find myself longing for the early 1970s, when it seemed to me that musicians weren't so pigeonholed into a "bag."

All of my whining notwithstanding, I'm pressing ahead. Thanks for reading, and if you happen to have licensed or bought my work, thanks for supporting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment