Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thoughts on Moving

If you're here to check out my latest music, I'm still on hiatus, and this post is decidedly off-topic.

As part of the moving process, I've been downsizing, getting rid of lots of junk. I also got rid of most of my books. I had a LOT of books. I probably still have two boxes full of books, most of it music-related. I also kept a lot of books on psychology and religion, and odd authors like Orwell and Hesse, plus an abridged version of Gibbon's History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. I got rid of most of my CDs, figuring I'll eventually pick up a subscription to Pandora.

I didn't want to wind up pitching out a lot of food, so the last week or so before the move I only went to the grocery at great need. This created a dilemma when I ran out of mustard before I ran out of cold cuts or bread. In my mind's eye I imagined myself eating bologna and salsa! (I know, EEE-YEW!) Fortunately, someone took the last of the bologna off my hands and I made other arrangements for lunch.

I am now moved in to the new place, and am working on setting up a work space for all of my various efforts, including music. This is complicated by the fact that I am now living with other people for the first time in a long time, so I'm still making the adjustment to accommodating them. I work best when it's quiet, but at the same time don't want to cramp anyone's style. We'll get it worked out.

If you're moving anytime soon, here's a piece of advice: don't skimp on packing tape. Buy good quality tape. I bought a couple of rolls of cheap stuff, and it seems like every other time I taped a box shut, the tape snapped back and stuck to the roll. Then, when I tried to pick it off the roll, it disintegrated into little tiny pieces that I had to struggle with to get back to a single piece. Spend the extra few dollars and get good packing tape.

In a side note, yesterday was actually my best day ever for sales. I sold four different clips, mostly the quiet and sad parts of my portfolio, including three first time sales. Thanks to the buyer, and may that music serve your project well.

No comments:

Post a Comment